Create Sitemaps of Websites at Localhost or Disk
It is possible to crawl your website at localhost or local disk and still create valid XML sitemaps and HTML sitemaps.
If you have your website files placed at e.g. c:\myprojects\website\example\,
prefer to scan offline and do not have a local webserver, you can still easily create sitemaps of your website.
Simply point A1 Sitemap Generator to c:\myprojects\website\example\ and hit the Start scan button.
Note: If you experience problems, try enable option Scan website | Crawler options | Always scan directories that contain files or linked URLs.
Note: If your website uses server-side code like ASP or PHP you should for best results scan your website on localhost instead. Otherwise your server-side code will not execute since requests are not routed through your localhost webserver.
Check your webserver documentation on how to access your website on your own computer. Most common address is
but if you have multiple websites configured it could also e.g. be http://example.localhost
If the computer hosting your website is not a Windows
machine, you will need to either:
- Run the sitemapping software from another Windows or Mac computer within your local network. (Technically that is no longer localhost, but still often much faster than crawling websites online.)
- Run our sitemap generator through some Windows emulator / virtualization software. For Linux, Wine is a good choice.
Popurlar webserver related products include:
- Webservers: Apache (Linux, Windows etc.), Xitami / X5 (Linux, Windows etc.) and
- Scripting languages: PHP (Linux, Windows etc.).
- Databases: MySql (Linux, Windows etc.).
If you encounter any problems, you are recommended to:
- Test and get things working one at a time.
- Check search engines for tutorials and step-by-step guides.
- Ask in support forums. Many people regularly answer questions in these.
- Note: We can not offer direct support on these topics.
It is easy to set and override the root path used in generated XML sitemaps.
Remember to build the sitemap files again after changing this setting.