About Anti Virus and Firewall Tools, Security and False Positives
Anti virus and firewall tools are vital. However, it is also important to know such tools can report false positives.
Security software such as anti virus and firewalls can often flag safe programs and safe traffic as potential threats.
Therefore, whenever your security software flags something, make sure to:
- You know exactly what computer security product and version you are using.
- You have made sure to update it to the latest version and security definition updates.
- You are still on an active subscription.
- Consider: If you are using one of our crawler tools, make sure you are not crawling websites that use unsafe resources, contain unsafe links or redirect to unsafe places.
- Consider: Confirm your potential threat findings with other similar tools like those mentioned below.
- Consider: If the problem persist please tell us about it including what security solution you are using.
Double check the reported threats using online services such as:
You should also always
follow these general security tips:
Avoid using the same password on multiple websites.
Never use passwords for important services (e.g. banks etc.) other places.
Only share personal information to the extent you feel comfortable and safe doing.
Use two factor security whenever possible for important services.
Make sure your phone carrier makes ID verification before handing out SIM cards to people pretending to be others.