XML Sitemaps and SiteLinks in Google Search Results
Some people believe Google SiteLinks are directly related to XML Sitemaps. They are not, but both are related to Google Webmaster Tools.
SiteLinks are Not Related to XML Sitemaps
Submitting a generated XML sitemap will not guarantee your website gets SiteLinks
for relevant search quries,
not even if the XML sitemap is generated by A1 Sitemap Generator
The reason is that XML Sitemaps and Google SiteLinks are not directly related.
The only connection is Google Webmaster Tools
where you among other things can
submit XML sitemaps, and view/block the SiteLinks shown for your website.
How Google Determines SiteLinks and Link Titles
Few people know the actual algorithm Google uses. However, we can guess based on experience and observation.
How a domain gets SiteLinks shown:
- Domain has to rank number #1 for the search query.
- The domain has to have a high authority for the search query.
- It helps if the domain name is similar to the search query.
How shown page URLs are selected:
- Pages linked by many internal pages.
- Pages with many backlinks from other websites.
- Google Toolbar navigation information.
- Google click tracking in search results.
How shown page titles are generated:
- Last directory or page name in URL.
- HTML <title> in page.
- Anchor text in backlinks.